Flavorful, fresh and so satisfying. This #keto, #whole30, #glutenfree dish is perfect for when you are craving carbs/pasta. We didn't think we'd love it as much as we do. And the bison is the cherry on top of this delicious meal.
1 Spaghetti Squash - split lengthwise and seeded
1 lb Ground Bison - (or beef we just love bison)
1 Lg Yellow Onion - small diced
2 Carrots - small diced
1 Yellow Squash - small diced
2 Serrano Peppers- minced
1 can Tomato Paste
2 Lg cans Crushed Tomatoes
1 bunch Parsley
Fresh Basil - about a hand full chopped fine
For the Squash -
1. Rub olive oil over the entire inside and outside of squash and season well with Slavo Salt.
2. Place in a preheated 375 degree oven, facedown on a cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
4. Using a fork, scrape out the inside of the squash, it should look just like yellow spaghetti. It may need a little more seasoning. Of course, we used Slavo Salt.
For the Sauce -
1. In a large pot, sauté onions in olive or grape seed oil until they become translucent. Add the serrano peppers, carrots and yellow squash - continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot add grape seed oil until hot, add in ground bison/beef and brown. At this point I added about 2-3 Tbls of Slavo Salt.
3. Add the onion mix back into the pot along with the tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes to cook the paste (you don't want to add raw paste as it will give a funky taste).
4. Add the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Using 2 cans produced a lot of sauce. If you prefer your sauce to be more meaty, I'd just use 1 large can instead.
5. Add in the finely chopped basil and parsley and stir well. Taste at this point to see if you need more seasoning, I'm guessing you will (we added 3 Tbl of Slavo Salt and the juice of 1/2 lemon).
6. Serve sauce over the top of the spaghetti squash and if you're not on a stupid diet throw some parmesan cheese on top of everything