The countdown to Thanksgiving is on so we thought we'd share some of our favorite t-day recipes starting with Green Bean Casserole. This is a classic Thanksgiving staple with Slavo's special twist. This is a family favorite!!
3 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces fresh button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1 Tbl Slavo Salt
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved, and blanched (boil 5 minutes, place beans in ice water for a couple of minutes, drain)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet and whisk in the flour. Once combined, continue whisking for another 2 minutes until the mixture has slightly deepened in color. Add the half-and-half and chicken broth while constantly whisking to prevent lumps. Once slightly thickened, add the cheese and whisk until melted and combined.
- Next add the mushroom/bacon mixture along with Slavo Salt. Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the green beans. Stir to combine.
- Pour the bean mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and sprinkle the French fried onions all over the top. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.