This is our favorite pasta salad for summer picnics, BBQs and potlucks. This fresh and flavorful salad is an easy summer staple.
12oz Penne or Fusilli Pasta
3 Tbl Olive Oil
1 Small Yellow Onion - thinly sliced
1 Clove Garlic - thinly sliced
6 Heirloom Tomatoes - cut into rough chunks
1 Cucumber - peeled and chopped
1/2c White Wine
3 Chicken Breasts
1/2c Kalamata Olives - chopped
1/4c Flat-Leaf Parsley
3 Tbl Fresh Basil - torn into small pieces
3/4c cheese - you can use any cheese you like i.e. Parmesan, goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, pecorino, etc.
Original Slavo Salt to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water with 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil. Drop in pasta; stir it around.
2. Season chicken breasts well with Slavo Salt and grill until cooked through. Remove from grill and allow to cool for 4 minutes. Slice breasts into 1/4" strips and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat; sauté onion 3 to 4 minutes, until limp.
4. Add garlic and tomatoes and sauté for another minute.
5. Splash in wine and cook down, about 4 minutes.
6. Stir in olives. Add at least 1/4 cup pasta water to the sauce.
7. When pasta is al dente (taste to be sure), use a big straining spoon to transfer it to the pan.
8. Stir to combine, and cook for a minute. Add Slavo Salt to taste if needed and more pasta water if sauce is too dry.
9. Spoon pasta with sauce into a bowl, and scatter chicken, parsley, basil and cheese on top.