We all have our standard “go-to” Thanksgiving recipes, which are either great or have just managed to hang around long enough that we think they’re great. Our family has begun replacing some of these so-so recipes every year with new more innovative dishes. The easiest place to start is usually with the sides. Here’s a great veggie recipe that is worth a shot this year!
2 Ears Fresh Corn
1c Oyster Mushrooms – roughly chopped
1/4 Red Onion – finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove – minced
2 Fresh Thyme Sprigs – leaves removed and minced
10 Asparagus Spears – cut into 1″ long pieces
3/4c Cooked Lima Beans
3/4c Fresh Green Peas
1/4lb Fresh Green Beans – halved
1/2c Fava Beans – shelled
1/2 Lemon – zested
1/2c Flat Leaf Parsley – rough chopped
1. Preheat oven to 500*F.
2. Cover a baking sheet with foil, place the cleaned ears of corn on it, rub ears lightly with EVOO and sprinkle Slavo Salt.
3. Roast the corn for about 10 minutes, until nicely colored. Cool slightly, then use a knife to remove the kernels from the cobs and set aside.
4. Get a saute pan smoking hot over high heat and add a tablespoon or so of olive oil, the ‘shrooms, and some Slavo Salt. Toss them around for about 4 minutes until they begin to get some nice color.
5. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over low heat, add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and sweat until the onion is softened, 4-5minutes.
6. Add the asparagus, lima beans, peas, green beans, fava beans, shrooms, and corn kernels.
7. Increase the heat to med-high, add a splash of water or white wine, cover and cook for about 3 minutes, so that the vegetables cook quickly and retain their bright green color. Add the lemon zest and season with Slavo Salt.
8. Toss with fresh parsley and serve either hot or cold.