Am I getting fatter?!?! We have been on this diet now for 15 days and I am pretty sure I haven’t lost any weight and might be gaining! This is a distinct possibility given how delicious our meals have been. I really hope this isn’t the case but, as evidenced by the recipe below, you can see why I might be getting nervous… it was TOTALLY worth it, by the way. 50% bacon / 50% ground beef – yep, you’re welcome!
4 Thick Bacon Strips – minced
3 Serrano Chiles – minced
1lb Ground Beef or Bison – get lean meat
1 Yellow Onion – sliced thin
1 pack Cremini Mushrooms – sliced
1 Tbl Clarified Butter or Ghee
1 Avocado – sliced
8 Iceberg Lettuce Leaves – whole
1. Sauté onions and mushrooms with the clarified butter over medium heat until caramelized and delicious – season with Slavo Salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the minced bacon and serrano peppers well.
3. Add in the ground beef or bison and combine with the bacon mix. Do not over mix because it will turn these into hockey pucks. Just mix enough so that everything is mixed together.
4. Take handfuls of the meat mix and gently form into patties. Season with Slavo Salt on both sides.
5. Place on a screaming hot grill to sear the outside, then reduce the heat to medium. Keep an eye on them as the bacon fat may cause occasional flare-ups.
6. Double up 2 lettuce leaves per side for your “bun” and garnish with whatever condiment you want. Honestly, the burgers are so good they really just need the onions and ‘shrooms.