Today, July 29th, is National Lasagna Day and we are all about a holiday that celebrates cheesy, comfort food! We love this recipe that is a bit of a departure from your traditional lasagna.
4 cups Milk
1 (14oz can) Chicken Stock
1 Bay Leaf
½ cup Butter
2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
2 cup Gruyere Cheese – shredded
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese – grated
1/8 tsp Nutmeg – ground
5 Tbl Olive Oil
8 Portobello Shrooms – stem and gills removed, cut into 1/3″ strips.
1lb Cremini Shrooms – sliced
1 cup Prosciutto – chopped
2 Lg Shallots – chopped
1 tsp Rosemary – chopped fine
1 tsp Thyme – chopped fine
1lb Lasagna Noodles
¾ cup Parmesan Cheese – grated
2 Tbl Butter
For the Sauce –
1. Bring milk, chicken stock and bay leaf to a simmer over medium heat in a heavy saucepan.
2. Remove from heat and set aside, discard bay leaf.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over med-low heat. Whisk in flour and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk mixture, bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Remove from heat and stir in gruyere, park and nutmeg. Season to taste with Slavo Salt.
For the Filling –
1. In a large frypan over medium high heat, add olive oil and prosciutto, sauté until browned about 3 minutes.
2. Add shallots and mushrooms to frypan, cook until both are tender and most of the shroom juice is cooked off, about 10 minutes. Add in rosemary, thyme and Slavo Salt and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
For Lasagna –
1. Cook noodles in a large pot of salted water until slightly tender (do not cook them all the way through!). Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
2. Smear butter all over the inside of a 13×9″ baking dish.
3. Spread 1 cup of sauce over bottom of baking dish.
4. Layer 1/3 of noodles over the sauce. Spread 1 2/3 cups of sauce on top of noodles.
5. Spread 1/2 of mushroom and prosciutto mixture over sauce evenly.
6. Lay 1/2 of remaining noodles on top of mushrooms.
7. Spread 1 2/3 cups of sauce over noodles. Spread remaining mushroom mixture on top of sauce and then add remaining noodles on top..
8. Spread remaining sauce over the top of noodles and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
9. Preheat oven to 350, bake lasagna until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling, about 45-60 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before serving.
This can be made a day in advance and kept in fridge.
#nationallasagnaday #slavosalt #lasagna #dinner #mushroms