Did you know that September is National Mushroom month? Shrooms are one of Slavo’s favorite foods so we were inspired to make this delicious mushroom risotto. Welp, there goes our healthy(er) September. Enjoy amigos!
6-7cups Chicken Broth
12 oz Crimini Mushrooms - chopped fine
12 oz Shitake Mushrooms - stems removed and sliced
1 oz dried Porcini Mushroom
2 Tbl Butter
1Tbl Olive Oil
2 ½ cups Yellow Onions - chopped fine
3 Garlic Cloves - minced
1 Tbl Fresh Thyme - minced
1 ½ cups Aborio Rice
½ cup White Wine
½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
½ cup Parmesan Cheese - long strips made with vegetable peeler
1. Bring broth to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Add porcini and simmer until just tender, about 2 minutes.
2.Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to plate. Cool mushrooms and chop finely. Cover broth and keep warm over very low heat.
3. Melt butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
4. Add onions; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add crimini and shitake mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
5. Add porcini, garlic and herbs; sauté 4 minutes.
6. Add rice; stir 2 minutes with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula.
7. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
8. Add 1 cup hot broth; simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 40 minutes.
9. Mix in 1/2 cup cheese. Season with Slavo Salt.