Hey hey it's #NationalTacoDay! To celebrate, we're making Slavo's Braised Pork #Tacos. This sweet and spicy combination is like a fiesta for your mouth. Enjoy!
1lb Pork Shoulder - fat trimmed, cut into 2" pieces
1 Yellow Onion - quartered
2 Garlic Cloves - crushed
2 Tbl Slavo Salt
6oz Chorizo - casing removed
1 Tbl Grapeseed Oil
1 Yellow Onion - sliced thinly
2 Garlic Cloves - minced
2 Lg Cans Tomatoes - chopped and peeled
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
2 Chipotle Chiles in Adobo - from can, minced
Slavo Salt - to taste
1/2c Fresh Pineapple - small diced
1/2c Fresh Mango - small diced
1/4c Red Onion - minced
2 Jalapeños - minced
2 Tbl Cilantro - minced
1 Lime - juiced
To braise the pork:
1. Bring 6 cups water to boil in a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
2. Add the pork, onion, garlic, and salt and return to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until the pork is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
4. Drain in a colander, discarding the onion and garlic, and let cool slightly. Transfer the pork to a chopping board and shred with 2 forks.
To make the sauce:
1. Cook the chorizo in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring often and crumbling it with a wooden spoon until it turns dark red and some of the oil is released, about 15 minutes. Drain in a fine-meshed sieve to remove the excess oil, and transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the canola oil to the pan and heat over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, cloves, and cinnamon and bring to a simmer.
5. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the tomatoes give off their juices, about 8 minutes.
6. Add the chorizo, shredded pork, and chipotles and mix well.
7. Cover and simmer to blend the flavors, about 2 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and add salt. (The pork in its sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead. Reheat slowly before serving.)
1. Mix everything together in a bowl and allow to rest for 15-30 minutes.