The countdown to Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer vacation is on.We are already coming up with our weekend menu and no summer celebration is complete without potato salad. We’ve tried and tested dozens of different recipes and this is our favorite by far. Try it and let us know what you think!
Slavo’s Best Potato Salad
- 2# red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt for boiling potatoes
- 1# bacon, diced
- ½ yellow onion small diced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Original All Purpose Slavo Salt
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Wash potatoes well and cut any large potatoes in half so all are about the same size. Place potatoes in pot, cover with COLD water and add salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce hear and simmer for 15-20 minutes (or until tender). Drain water completely and return cooked potatoes to the pot and allow to sit while following next steps.
- In a separate pot, over medium heat cook the bacon and onions until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and onions from the pot using a slotted spoon leaving the bacon grease in the pot.
- Cut the potatoes in ½ inch slices and set aside.
- Carefully add sugar, mustard, vinegar and Slavo Salt to the bacon grease. Place the pot back on the burner and bring to a simmer (approx. 1 minute). Remove from heat and pour mixture over cooked potato slices adding cooked parsley, bacon and onions stirring to absorb all of the mixture being careful not to break up the potatoes too much.
- Optional squeeze a little fresh lemon over the salad to give it a little tang. This can be served warm or cold.