Slavo Salt isn’t just for meat – we love it on vegetables. Here is a recipe for our vegetarian (and non vegetarian) friends that is ridiculously easy and a great alternative to the standard burger!
4 Portobello Mushrooms – Scoop the ‘gills’ out with a spoon and remove stem
1 Jicama – peel rind and slice into 1/4″ thick rounds
2 Avocados – 1/4″ slices
1 Sweet Onion – slice extra thin
1 Heirloom Tomato – slice into 1/4″ thin rounds
1 Tbl Sriracha Chili Sauce
Cheese – I love Manchego, Petite Basque or brie for this recipe. Thin slices.
4 Quality Buns – Ciabatta, Kaiser, Challah, Pita, etc.
1. Place mushrooms and jicama onto a sheet pan. Pour a bit of olive oil into your hands and rub all over the shrooms and jicama, then season liberally with Slavo Salt.
2. Preheat your grill on high. Place the mushrooms and jicama onto the grill. Place the shrooms with the cap facing down first.
3. Once the jicama starts getting grill marks flip everything over and continue cooking.
4. At this point, place your cheese slices on the inside of the mushroom caps (this way all the gooey goodness doesn’t run out)
5. Again, once the jicama starts getting some good grill marks pull everything off. You don’t want the jicama to be completely limp, it should have just a little crunch.
6. In a small bowl, combine mayo and Sriracha, mix well. If you don’t like Sriracha you can also use lemon juice, curry powder or any other aioli you like.
7. In the toaster or on grill give the buns a little heat to toast them up. Spread the mayo concoction over the buns.
8. Assemble just like you would a normal burger i.e. bun, mayo, mushroom, onion, avocado, arugula, jicama, tomato and bun.