Even though it was 110 degrees outside yesterday I felt like making soup and needed a Mexican food hit. Solution – Chicken Tortilla Soup (sans tortilla of course – due to that @whole30 “no grains” rule). This soup turned out FANTASTIC and was ridiculously simple to make!
For the Soup:
1 Yellow Onion – small diced
5 Garlic Cloves – minced
2 Serrano Peppers – minced
3 Chicken Breasts – cut into 1/2″ slices
1can Chipotles in Adobo – pureed
8c Chicken Stock
1bunch Cilantro – chopped fine
1bunch Green Onions – chopped fine
2 Limes – juiced
2 Avocados – small diced
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat add 2 Tbl olive oil. Add in onions and cook until they become translucent, then add the garlic and serrano peppers. Cook until they start browning. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. Heat same pot back up on high heat and add another 2 Tbl of olive oil and toss in the sliced chicken and 1-2 Tbl of Slavo Salt. Cook until browned and cooked through.
3. Add in the cooked onion mixture, chipotle puree and chicken stock, bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally skimming the “scum/foam/oil” off the top.
5. Add the cilantro, green onions, and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning with Slavo Salt.
6. Serve in a bowl with diced avocados sprinkled over the top.
#slavosalt #soup #mexican #whole30 #paleo