1/2 cup butter
1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
At least 1/2 cup carrots, chopped (if you are a fan of peppers, you can use the same amount of Red & Green Peppers instead of carrots & celery)
At least 1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 12oz bottle of Mirror Pond Pale Ale
7oz extra-sharp Cheddar, shredded
7oz processed Swiss cheese, shredded
2 cups half-and-half
1 tsp Slavo Salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 lb smoked sausage (if desired)
1/2 tsp Tabasco, to taste (if desired)
1. Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until softened.
3. Add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add chicken broth and beer.
5. Heat until it comes to a boil.
6. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth.
7. Add half-and-half, Slavo Salt, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
8. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened.
9. Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan. Saute sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes.
10. Add sausage to the soup, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.